Let's keep a sense of proportion - or at least lets hope the US media (Jon Oliver excepted) gets one.
London has a long history, not all of it pleasant:
- In AD 60, under the Romans, it was destroyed by the Iceni led by queen Boudica
- London was also sacked in 842 and 851 by the Vikings
- After 1066 (and all that) William the Conqueror occupied the city
- About half the population was killed in the Black Death of the 14th century
- During the English Civil War London took the side of Parliament and was where the King was executed in 1649
- Almost a quarter of the population was lost in the Great Plague of 1665
- The plague was swiftly followed by the Great Fire of 1666
- During the 20th Century London was the target of the German Blitz (as in the video above from the band Public Service Broadcasting (PSB), who have seen a couple of times before).
London does not "reel" easily: we mind the gap and drink tea (though we might not say no to something stronger).
London is doing now what it has done for millennia: keep calm and carry on.