Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Why the Solent isn't my top sailing destination

Oops, that might have come out wrong.

I do like the Solent, honestly. I've my favourites ports, like the Hamble, Lymington, Yarmouth and Cowes.

I've done my Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper (er, almost) there. I've moored at Cowes surrounded by legends during the 150th anniversary of the America's Cup, done a Round the Island, raced a Volvo 60 in Cowes week, sailed past the Needles at midnight, chute flying in the moonlight....

But I'm trying to answer Tillerman's blogging writing challenge - which is to say where do you want to sail most in the world.

And that's not the Solent, for me. I'm booked to sail there twice more this summer, but it'll be the Solent "again" and in summer it gets really crowded (above).

I want to go somewhere different, to discover new waters to sail, to push outside that comfort zone.

So where do I most want to sail? Ah, that will have to wait until tomorrow.....

No comments: