previous days post was of the CalMac ferry on the way to Islay with the Paps of Jura in the background .
One of the top clues was the name of the ship, namely Finlaggan.
Finlaggan, the ruins of which can be seen in the photo above, is at the centre of Islay and was once the seat of the Lord of the Isles who ruled the Scottish isles from Islay to Skye. They controlled the sea lanes with Viking style galleys for around four hundred years from 1098.
The house we were staying in was nearby and often we'd walk down there in the evening, our heads enveloped by a cloud of midges.
During the day we'd go to the beach, for unlike the washout in London, we were lucky with the weather: