Thanks to a recently released dataset from market research group YouGov we can get an idea. It has a profiles tool that allows you to query who has identified that they are interested in sailing.
From a sample size of 2633 respondents who said they were sailing fans: we learn that they:
- Are old. Yup, largest demographic was the over 60. That's pretty depressing, but on the plus side the least uninterested of the rest were the youngsters 18-24
- Typically male. That might explain while Buff is still single, though there are those (me, his mum etc) who think the reasons are deeper
- Are mostly right wing southerners who are work in professions like mining, agriculture or architecture. That all puzzles me a bit to be honest. Maybe they're including gin-palaces in this category? Note London is pretty low down the list, under Northern Scotland
- Enjoy ballet and dance...... ok... suggestions please?
- Favourite sports are skiing and swimming. I'm assuming that's after sailing
- Are adaptable, inventive leaders who are also demanding, strong-willed and confrontational (which explains a lot of the argy-bargy around the marks)
- Like the music of Cliff Richard ..... WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE????
- Top Facebook page is RNLI. Phew, something I actually understand!
- Likes to read society rag The Tatler..... er....
So all in all a baffling response.
But you can also do this the other way round. If, for example, you have a look at who watches Channel 4 News (and you all should, its brilliant), the favourite sport of viewers is sailing.
So come on C4 News, give us a regular sailing news slot!