Friday, August 13, 2021

Paddle Boarding on the Regent's Canal


I've been wanting to try paddle boarding for some time but as cool as it appeared (with the likes of Obama doing it aged 60), it also looked all too easy to go tumbling into the water. Learning to keep one's balance seemed key, and that would be easier on calm flat water compared to waves from the sea or wash from passing boats.

So having my first lesson on a canal seemed like the ideal solution. Any not just any canal, this was the Regent's Canal here in London. 

I signed up with Paddle Boarding London at their base in the Pirate Castle (that's really what it's called, check it out here) in trendy Camden. Here were given life jackets and a paddle and shown how to move from sitting to standing and back down again. 

Soon we were out and after five minutes of paddling sitting down, were encouraged to stand up. And remarkably I did and managed to go for the rest of the 90 minute session without falling in (unlike one other, who returned soaked after a dunking).

A lot of the paddle strokes were familiar to anyone who's done some kayaking or canoeing. There was some passing traffic in narrow-boats and self-hire electric launches (from GoBoat Paddington), but they typically slowed down and gave a friendly hello.

Must admit I was very, very slow. I might try again to see if the balance improves and I can get a bit of speed up. Afterwards, on my home, I dropped in on my brother for a cup of tea, and it turned out that he and one of my nephews were also very slow.

A fun afternoon!


No comments: