Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Highest Tide

There was a spring tide last night, with a predicted range a rather impressive 6.7m at London Bridge according to the tide tables at the Port of London Authority. That's three days after the full moon for those that are keeping an eye on the sky.

Coincidently I have just finished a novel called "The Highest Tide" about a boy growing up around the bays of the Puget Sound. I really enjoyed it and wished I was either back at Ti Al Lannec (where I started it) and could potter around the rock pools or even back in the Straits of Juan de Fuca where I went whale watching a few years ago.

Then I realised I should just look a bit more locally - such as out the window. Here I saw sea birds washing, drying, and eating, a range of flotsam and jetsam, and a green border of algae I hadn't seen before:

I should pop out there and have a closer look as would Miles, the young hero of The Highest Tide.

Alas my afternoon chore is to read Open University course B821 Unit 9: Credit, Liquidity, and Operational Risk.

Yawn.

2 comments:

bonnie said...

Hi! Thanks for your comments on Frogma. Actually it's funny, I know a Captain JP, and I have visited your blog before, the first time wondering if you were him - but he lives in New Jersey & it was immediately obvious that you weren't him!

I'm afraid I haven't really written up a series of posts on getting started in urban tidal waterways, but The London and South East Region of the British Canoe Union's web page would probably be the perfect place for you to find out what's available on the Thames.

We're having a holiday weekend with perfect weather here in NY, and I'm preparing for Tuesday - Friday of nose-to-the-grindstone by dinghy sailing tomorrow, and paddling on Monday.

Hope you can sneak out for a little water time too!

JP said...

Hi Bonnie, thanks for that link I'll have a look.

Hope you enjoyed your long weekend sailing and paddling, and yes, I managed to get afloat this weekend too :)