Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The Lea Valley Walk


This summer's project has been following the Lea Valley Walk - or at least parts of it. 

The full walk is a good 80 km (50 miles) long, but I restricted myself to those bits covered by Transport for London as in their web site page for the walk.

Transport for London's route headed south, starting at Waltham Cross and ends at either Trinity Buoy Wharf or Limehouse Basin, but I did it the other way round, starting at the Thames and heading north.

I also combined it with another walk, namely The Line, which is an outdoor sculpture trail that ends at the O2 Arena, but again I did it in reverse. The Lea splits into all sorts of channels around the old Olympic Stadium, and I spent some time exploring which were accessible.

The resulting segments were:

  • Walk 1: O2 to Three Mills (8.1 km)
  • Walk 2: Three Mills and Olympic Park (9.7 km)
  • Walk 3: Hackney Marshes (11 km)
  • Walk 4: Clapton Pond to Meridian Water (8.9 km)
  • Walk 5: Meridian Water to Waltham Cross (11.7 km)

That was around 50 km in total. There was also a bonus walk of the:

  • Walk 6: Greenway from the Olympic Park out to North Woolwich (11.8 km).

I'm tagging these with label "Lea Valley" so when these all the relevant posts are published you can find them by clicking here.


Update 1

One thing should point out is the difference between the Lea and the Lee. Basically anything natural is called "Lea" - as in Lea River - while anything of human construction is called "Lee" - such as the Lee Navigation. See this post on Wikipedia.

Update 2

Useful - if slightly out of date - post on the Londonist web site about the walk


2 comments:

Greg Wesson said...

This is timely, as just yesterday I was planning a walk I am going to do next week, starting at Cheshunt, heading south past the Lee Valley White Water Centre (close to Waltham Cross), and then back around and heading up north on the other side of the Lee Valley. So I'll be doing the bit just north of what you are doing.

I look forward to reading your account.

JP said...

Sounds great - I'm tempted to keep going e.g. to Cheshunt!

I'll be putting posts up every couple of days so won't get to Waltham Cross bit for some time, but they're all ready to go.