Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Colour of the Thames

No pics today, you'll just have to imagine the colours of the Thames.

Its not always the same colour, you see. It will never of course be that sparkling blue of a tropical sea nor the clear translucence of a young spring fed river. The Thames will always be a muddy river.

But it colour does change, and the best analogy I've come up with to date is a range of hot drinks. All too often its the dark brown of a thick coffee with spot of milk in it or even hot chocolate. However this week its been the colour of tea - one day black and on another very milky.

I'm trying to work out what influences it. The sky, obviously, but other factors could be amount of rain, tidal direction (heading in or out) and current strength (changing degree of stirring of the mud). Maybe, sad to say, also the amount of pollution and sewage.

Just remember that whatever drink it looks like its not recommended to try a tasting

3 comments:

The O'Sheas said...

I think I saw it through a prism of pints consumed near the Putney Bridge. That had to affect color.

Probably positively.

JP said...

What colour do you remember?

The O'Sheas said...

Hmm, I'm trying to recall but it seems my memories are black and white. :(

Whatever color it was, I'm sure you can throw an extra 'u' in there, or add an 'e' on the end, because it was certainly English.