Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Visiting the Canberra Yacht Club

Next stop was the Canberra Yacht Club - after all how could I with time on my hands and a bike to get me around not have a try having a sail?

And they had a whole rank of Hobie cats just itching to be taken out:

So I hired one and headed out. They say Hobies can sail even in the slightest whisper of a breeze and that's just as well as it was one of those still days when its more a case of drifting than zooming across the lake.

I'd be looking at the flags go see if they'd tell me where the wind was coming from and er, that didn't really help:

But it was fun as always. I got to practice my steering with my feet while lying flat on my back staring at the blue sky, and found out what happens if you let go of everything and let the boat find its own way.

Every now and then there'd be a gust and there'd be that wonderful trickling sound under the hull and hopes would be raised but then it would disappear.

But hey! it was sailing and about a million times better than working on that document and I'm now a bit sun blasted.

So I did a bit of tacking then some gybing and then headed back in.

4 comments:

The O'Sheas said...

The perfect summary for every sailing story:

So I did a bit of tacking then some gybing and then headed back in.

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

"So I did a bit of tacking then some gybing and then headed back in."

Sounds like one of my posts. Actually it sounds just like too many of my post.

JP said...

Hi greg, kris and tillerman!

Maybe that should be a challenge for both of you - have a day's sailing where you either ONLY tack or ONLY gybe.

Then you can post how you've done something different.

ps and not forgotten the latest group writing project

Katinka said...

Glad you took some time to do something non-presentation related! Looks like you had a great day for it :)