Friday, December 09, 2011

Tragedy on the ARC

It was with shock that I read on the World Cruising web site of the death of one of the participants on the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC).

It wasn't the first death there's been on the ARC alas, but this caught my attention as the casualty, Andrew Nash, is thought to have had a heart attack while sailing on the same boat that I completed the ARC a few years ago, Ocean Wanderer.

I have almost entirely good memories of Ocean Wanderer (above, having arrived safely at St Lucia). It took us three weeks to cross, twenty ones days locked in a our little world, seeing nothing but water in all directions during the day and the endless stars at night.

But what will memories will it have for the current crew? And more importantly what will be the impact on Andrew Nash's wife and family, to whom he will never return and for whom Christmas is cancelled?

I am so sorry.

6 comments:

Baydog said...

The only consolation, if there is one, is that he was probably doing something he loved to do like Carol Ann's friend Marty a couple of years ago.

Carol Anne said...

Baydog, you're right. When I read this, Marty immediately came to mind. I hope that Andrew Nash's family can get at least a sort of bit of feeling of comfort from knowing that he did die doing something he loved.

Anonymous said...

Andrew was my dad. Its pretty horrific for us. We are still waiting for the repatriation of my fathers body. thank you for your thoughts.

Chris Nash

JP said...

Chris: I am very very sorry about your dad.

I've lost my father too this year so know how difficult it is and my thoughts are with you and the rest of your family.

I don't know if its any consolation but I had a great ARC so I think your father's last days would have been happy ones.

JP

Anonymous said...

Hi i'm andrew's wife. Thank you for caring enough to post a message. I just wish that there had been a space on the boat for me and that I could have been with him. It took so long to get his body home and I can't even see him.What happened to Marty

JP said...

Marty was sailing in a race in which Carol Anne was also sailing and they think something similar happened to him.

My thoughts are with you and the rest of your family. Maybe one day you will do your own crossing to remember him?

Please feel free to email me at captainjp(at)hotmail.co.uk if you want to