To be honest it sounded like the first item in a list of Blog subjects for which the answer is "The Laser", and there are clearly specialists out there on this topic.
So what else to say? Well some random thoughts:
- I don't like drifting so more wind is more fun than less
- ... unless you are in a force 10, in which case more wind is less fun
- More boat heel means less speed
- Less boat weight means more speed
- .... and most people want to more speed than less (how often do you hear "yes I know I came first but would much rather have come lower down in the rankings")
- There seems to be boat inflation in which a medium sized cruiser used to be 35 feet and is now 40 feet (or is that the waistline in inches?)
- Less instruments makes the sailor better at reading the wind
- Less expensive boats mean more entries (e.g. Volvo vs Open 40s)
- Less complex boats means ditto (Star vs Laser)
- For an infrequent sailor its more cost effective to own less and charter more
- A shorter blog post is more readable than a long one, so that's the list for now!
There is one Laser idea that's been on the list on my iPhone for a few months so this might be a good time dust it off and see if its any good (& whether if can get it done by the deadline).